Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 November 2021

Andre Previn & His Pals "Pal Joey"

Pal Joey Review by Scott Yanow
Pianist André Previn, bassist Red Mitchell, and drummer Shelly Manne perform nine songs that debuted in the show Pal Joey. Best known is "I Could Write a Book," which quickly became a standard, but the other, more obscure songs such as "Take Him," "Zip," and "Do It the Hard Way" are also generally good devices for jazz improvising. An enjoyable set of straight-ahead trio music.

Here we have some great piano playing ...

1. I Could Write A Book
2. That Terrific Rainbow
3. Bewitched
4. Take Him

1. Zip
2. Its A Great Big Town
3. What Is A Man
4. I'm Talking With My Pal
5. Do It The Hard Way


      1. Zip

5 comments:

  1. Many greetings Espo
    I want to thank you for this album from André Previn ,I had this one not in my collection.
    I hope everything is well with you and all your loved ones.
    You have also many greetings from Bob who wishes you all the best
    Greetings and many thanks
    Mireille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, espo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mireille..Regards to Bob and thanks for the comment...Take care !!

    Hi George...Thanks !! enjoy the music !..cheers Luigi / espo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this album, it sits nicely with the other albums, variously released under the Shelley Mann and Friends, and Andre Previn and His Pals names, all (most?) of which were jazz versions of (then current) musicals. The best known is probably the My Fair Lady set, but all of them are worthy of exploration. Truth to tell, this was one of the channels via which I was introduced to Modern Jazz - the others being The Dave Brubeck Quartet and The Modern Jazz Quartet (MJQ). Excellent stuff . . . bop on espo!

    ReplyDelete