Total Pageviews

Monday 23 October 2023

Dolores Hawkins

Another forgotten singer appears now...not very much about her I was hoping to find some connection with the statement the "Hip Hop Genres" but couldn't find much the only thing that it might have meant is the fact that she recorded some tracks with "The Four Lads" which I suppose in the era of the 50/60's could be classed as Hip Hop !!
Dolores Hawkins (September 22, 1929 - January 15, 1987) was a singer from Brooklyn, New York. She is a part of the roots of both the rhythm & blues and hip hop record genres.
Almost completely forgotten now, Dolores Hawkins made her LP for Epic Records in 1956. She had a very strong voice and judging by the delivery of these tracks, a strong personality. She is very impressive here with her personal versions of Lover Man and Baby Won’t You Please Come Home..Her collection includes crisp interpretations of lesser known compositions like Dream Of You and Goodnight My Love. She gives a warm reading to I’m In The Mood and is well supported by the Hank Jones quartet with Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson. Some tracks feature soft-focus trumpet by Ruby Braff in mainstream mode and a tenor sax/flute player that Epic failed to identify.....( Info Edited From Jazz Journal )

1. I've Got My Eyes On You
2. Lover Man
3. Dream Of You
4. I'm In The Mood For Love
5. You'd be So Nice To Come Home To
6. No Love No Nothin'

1. Baby Wont You Please Come Home
2. The man I Love
3. Just Squeeze Me
4. Good Lovin'
5. I Must Have That Man
6. Goodnight My Love
          6. No Love No Nothin'    

1 comment:

  1. A great Voice...give it a listen you won't be disappointed !!
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete