Total Pageviews

Tuesday 2 June 2020

Helen Merrill...320 Kbps


 This one I got in a junk shop for 50p...I was intrigued by the song selection and hadn't heard any songs by Helen Merrill...It is a "Mainstream Recording" and they usually release "Jazz" releases.I had heard of "Charlie Byrd" he is a Jazz guitarist...soooooo I thought that for 50p you cant go wrong....Yep It was worth every penny and more!!!....I supose you could call it "Folksy Jazz"....I expected it to be a big band bash but was pleasantly surprised sooooooo all you out there over the pond and in the freezing snow have a listen and see what you think!!!

P.S. For any of you out there who might be hesitating in giving this one a listen too DO IT...
it's a great one and its becoming one of my favorite re-listening and re-playing L/P's...SO treat yourselves to a good ear bashing !!! Music Wise !!...of Course !!!

1. Quiet Nights
2. Careless Love
3. Scarlet Ribbons
4. The House Of The Rising Sun
5. I Left My Heart Behind
6. Cannetella

1. The River
2. Minha Rocca
3. Itsi No Komoriuta
4. Forbidden Games
5. John Anderson My Love

   

      4. The House Of The Rising Sun.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Helen is such a torch singer - wonder what happened in her life to make her so in tune with the desperation songs this one should only be played late a night

    Have you every listened to her 1971 album Sposin"? That one is rather creepy in places - like a bad trip I would say.

    Anyhow, much appreciate the shares, and the varieties, always nice to explore different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she was one step beyond most female vocalists of the time, very much under-appreciated in the States. The record she made with Clifford Brown on trumpet and Quincy Jones arrangements is one you can play over and over. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this nice album, E. Can't wait to listen.

    Iggy

    ReplyDelete