Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 June 2020

Earl Bostic....320 Kbps


The first "Jazz" 78rpm that I bought when I was in my teens was "Earl Bostic's Flamingo"
of course didn't realise at the time that it was a Jazz Record I just liked the rasping sound of the Tenor Sax...It was on a "Vogue" label and as I said a very brittle 78rpm and they did break very easy...I think it lasted about a couple of years before it got smashed up with a load more when I was taking some of them to play at a mates house on my bike and I fell of my bike and they shattered all over the road....didn't have the comfort of a car in those days !!...Anyway back to the L/P most of the tracks are well known songs and are all played in the "Earl Bostic" rasping tenor sax sound so no surprises there....best track of course is "Flamingo" which to me is as fresh sounding today as it was in the 50's...


1. Flamingo
2. Deep Purple
3. Always
4. Moonglow
5. Cherokee

1. Liebestraum
2. When Your Lover Has Gone
3. East Of The Sun
4. Beyond the Blue Horizon
5. Harlem Nocturne





      1. Flamingo.

5 comments:

  1. The greatest. Phenomenal sax player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this album

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was quite the player, and supposedly even challenged Charlie Parker in an outing. Incidentally, he plays the alto saxophone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weirdly enough, that was the first jazz record I purchased as well. I preferred the B side which, I think, was called Velvet Sunset.

    ReplyDelete