Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 August 2023

Thelma Gracen

Another forgotten singer from the 50's /60's with her one and only L/P release !!..and its a good one well worth a listen !!....As stated at the beginning of this blog the posts are mainly Vinyl but this one is a CD so the nod has been fulfilled !!...and there might be more later !!

AllMusic Review by Jason Ankeny.....................
Thelma Gracen's lone EmArcy date boasts a warm, nocturnal atmosphere that belies the precision and complexity of its performances. Guitarist Barney Kessel, tenorist Georgie Auld, and pianist Lou Levy are all in top form, delivering graceful, almost effortless support that encircles Gracen's vocals like a kind of halo effect. Her cool, sophisticated interpretations of chestnuts like "I'll Remember April" and "Night and Day" immediately bring to mind the likes of Anita O'Day and Chris Connor, but Gracen possesses a style and intelligence all her own -- it's a shame her discography is so slim.

1. I'll Remember April
2. Night And Day
3. I'll Never be The Same
4. Tea For Two
5. I'll Get By
6. Out Of Nowhere

1. Solitude
2. Just You Just Me
3. I'm Yours
4. People Will Say Were In love
5. More Than You Know
6. Let There Be love

          5. I'll Get By 

2 comments:

  1. I do try and keep this Music Blog for Vinyl Only...But as some bright person did say that the tracks do get digitalised so what is the difference...I agree to a certain point...BUT I still think that you get a better sound from Vinyl so you perhaps do get abetter sound when you digitalise the tracks from a L/P....so there are CD's being posted hence the reference to the "Nod" at the beginning of this post....
    enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Espo, Long time no see!
    I did a post on Thelma on her birthday with a few more tracks not on the CD
    https://fromthevaults-boppinbob.blogspot.com/2023/01/thelma-gracen-born-6-january-1922.html

    ReplyDelete