Total Pageviews

Friday 13 September 2024

Kay Starr And Count Basie

How About This is an album by vocalist Kay Starr and pianist and bandleader Count Basie, released in 1969 by the Paramount Records label. 

How About This is superb because the song choices were smart and pop giant Starr  was really a closet jazz singer, as evidenced on Capitol's Jazz Singer (1960) and I Cry By Night (1961). Like Patti Page, Starr was a tremendous singing talent who wound up entangled in pop's netting and, for personal economic reasons, worked for bland producers charged with making treacly easy-listening hit singles and albums for suburbia. When she occasionally escaped pop's cage, Starr proved herself to be as good as any jazz belter.On this album, Basie's band wraps around Starr's bluesy, after-hours phrasing like a stole. In addition, Starr is firmly in charge; Dick Hyman's band arrangements wisely just tag along. What I love most is that Starr and Basie speak the same bluesy language. (Thanks to Marc Myers of Jazz Wax For The Above edited comments)

1. I Get The Blues When It Rains
2. God Bless The Child
3. Baby Won't You Please Come Home
4. Ain't No Use
5. Keep Smiling At Trouble
6. If I Could Be With You
7. My Man
8. Halelujah I Just Love Him So
9. I Can't Stop Loving You
10. Goodtime Girl
11. Cottage For Sale

          9. I Can't Stop Loving You

1 comment:

  1. Two Great Artists Together...Makes a lot Of good listening !
    Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete